Wednesday, December 28, 2005

[MBA] Tuck interview

This was a very atypical interview. To start with the interviewer was in slippers, I was not in formal wear and a couple of ladies behind me were chatting away to glory throughout the interview. But the questions were what made this interview unusual. Right of the bat he told me that he was impressed by my calibre as an engineer so he was only interested in knowing how I thought through business problems. So I got to solve a on-the-fly business case involving my current company. Immediately after he gave me feedback about what I did right and where I could have improved. I got the feeling that this part had gone well, but then I am not a genius at judging people. This by the way took up the bulk of the 45-50 min interview.

Then came the why Tuck question. I had ofcourse prepared for it, but the context in which it was asked and the way in which it was put to me threw me offbalance. Lets just say that if they are looking for honesty I'll score high marks. If on the other hand they are looking for breathless admiration for Tuck I am screwed.

He said a couple of flattering things to round up the interview. So I am not feeling as bad about the 'Why Tuck' slipup as I should. But anyway I have done what I could about Tuck. Now it's up to them.

6 comments:

SgHama said...

Wow - you got a case to solve during an interview?? This is the first time i've of something like this from Tuck. Was it with an alum?

Haven't had mine yet - still waiting for the second year to contact me. Might have to drop them a reminder next week.

Marina said...

I have never heard of anyone having an interview with a case study format. That is crazy! Crossing fingers for ya!

Vinay Pandey said...

Wow, that sounds like an interview!

It almost compares to a friend's LBS intvw which went on for 2 hours and included a case, a role-play and other similar stuff.

Good luck to you mate! In the end, i'm sure all of us would like to attend a school that values our honesty. Rooting 4 u.

Marina said...

Well....the 19 did share similar 6 themes :)

Congrats on getting done with Wharton! You are almost there...

Marina said...

ok...wrong person with the Wharton essay ... :)

i_will_make_it said...

Wow. That is a very different interview. Seems the interview went in knowing what he wanted from you? Good luck completing your apps and best of luck!!