Thursday, December 22, 2005

[MBA] Back in Action

I had an unscheduled break from essay writing as I was down with a viral infection for the past few days. Now it's back to the grind. At school I used to work best when the deadlines seemed hopeless. Thanks to my health and my immense power of procrastination, I am fast approaching that situation with my remaining 3 schools. Hope I haven't lost my mojo!

So, I am not one of the lucky 1/3 who were fortunate enough to hear from Kellogg in the December time frame. Perfect time for me to bitch a little. I think this Kellogg decision release policy is very unfair. To give 1/3 of the applicants the pleasure and convenience of an early decision, they ruin the mental peace of 2/3 of the applicants for a couple of weeks. This blows. Either they should release all decisions within a two week window in January or they should look at applications in the first-in-first-out order so that people can anticipate to some extent when they can hope to receive a decision. Keeping everyone in this uncertain state for one full month is extremely unfair to people who will receive their decisions towards the end of the cycle.

Ok, now that this is off my chest - moving on. I contacted my Tuck interviewer and have fixed up a time and date. Fortunately or unfortunately it's at THE coffee place. Am a bit nervous, because I have never interviewed at such informal locations. Hope it's not too crowded. Atleast I get to show up in informal attire. (Yes, I asked)

Now on to my monthly schedule self-flagellation. In a previous post I had listed down my MBA app goals for every month till January 20th. This is how I have fared from Nov 20th - Dec 20th.

By Dec 20
Tuck submitted - Done
Haas submitted - Done
Stanford essays out for review - Still not complete
Sloan essays going through internal revisions - Major disaster. Not even started.

6 comments:

SgHama said...

Keep plugging away during the hols. I'm sure you'll make it!

Btw, is your Tuck interview with an alumni? I haven't heard from them since the initial email where they said someone would be in touch to schedule something

Anonymous said...

I was told by someone who is close to the Kellogg admissions process that it is, indeed, a first-in-first-out order.

laserlikefocus said...

anon - thats not their official position though. On the BWeek thread Kristen has repeatedly stated that the order is random. Also I have heard of people who interviewed in late November and have received their decision. I interviewed in early October.

Marina said...

It is funny because I have completely forgotten that my Kellogg application is still out there somewhere :)

Vinay Pandey said...

Good Luck for your Tuck interview.

Single said...

aha!! the inspiration of procrastination! keep at it, each app gets easier (except stanford which is challenging no matter what).

good luck w/ the tuck interview. I actually think a coffee place might be better than an office setting for relaxing and showing what you are "really" like, which is something Tuck seems to care about. Just dont get too caffinated :)