Thursday, December 01, 2005

[General] One prediction too many

I work for a non-profit and a couple of months back was involved in a fund-raising drive for a project I am responsible for. I am very uncomfortable soliciting anything from anybody. That's why networking events make me squirm. (Now, why the hell am I trying for an MBA?)
But anyway, this was for a good cause. So I sucked it up and did the rounds. Before I started, I created a list of people I would contact and just for fun made predictions about each person's response.

Now that the drive has ended - successfully I may add - it was interesting to go back and see how I fared in predicting behaviors. I was right for the most part. However, the few mistakes I made were spectacular. There was this guy whom I didn't even approach because I thought he was too much of a cheapskate to be interested in charity. Well, he approached me and signed up as the biggest donor (by far) in this drive. And there were two people who I was sure would sign up but didn't. I have long outgrown my juvenile attitude of getting mad at people who said no. So thankfully I don't bear any grudge against them. But I have known one of them since I was a kid. How could I have not seen the signs? I know that people grow, they change and go their separate ways. So this was not surprising. Just a little sad.

4 comments:

sorebrek said...

I often surprise myself when it comes to charity. I think that while the whole charity thing is part based on one's belief system, it is also heavily swayed by impulse. Good luck with the rest of the apps - I'm sure you will nail the school of your choice. (Didn't realize you were in the non-profit sector).

laserlikefocus said...

Well, I am not in the non-profit sector :) I was refering to something I do during my spare time. Should have phrased the 1st sentence better.

Thanks for the wishes.

laserlikefocus said...

lcpwarrior - true, very true. It's just very difficult to implement - atleast for me.

Anonymous said...

hey, I have experience with the non-profit sector as well - something I do in my spare-time. Fundraising is by far the hardest part and it is really surprising that some people, who I thought would definitely give, never gave a dime, and people, who I thought for sure wouldn't give, were very generous. Tought me never to expect anything. Follow your believes and stand behind the cause, then it doesn't "hurt" so much when someone says no...After all, it's nothing personal.