Wednesday, November 16, 2005

[MBA] Bay area twins

Just returned from a visit to Stanford and Haas. No surprises here. Unlike the two Boston or the two Chicago schools which have very different cultures and focuses, the two Bay Area schools have way more similarities than differences. Yes, Stanford has a stronger brand and it seemed to me that they admit a quirkier bunch of people. It is also said that Haas has a more rigorous curriculum than Stanford. I have no opinion on this one. The class that I attended at Haas was the most rigorous class I have attended at any of the schools - but then it was a 2nd year class. And Stanford has more of a standalone campus than Berkeley whose campus is quite lively.

However the similarities especially when it comes to the important things (except brand) are amazing. Small school, part of big prestigious universities, send more people (% terms) into tech industries than most other schools in the US, located in an area known for innovation and entrepreneurship, chilled out down to earth students (gross generalization alert!!), curriculum and culture with a strong focus on entrepreneurial and social ventures. The list just goes on.

Now, how does this affect me? Well, when I sit down and answer the 'Why Haas' question I don't know how I can make the reader believe that I haven't copy pasted my Stanford response. That has me a bit worried.

This trip reaffirmed a couple of decisions I had made some time back. Haas was a late addition to my app list. I think I made the right decision. I would be glad to go there. But Stanford continues to be my dream school. It pretty much comes on top wrt all the criteria I had listed in an earlier post. After the end of a very energetic class at Harvard, one of my fellow visitors turned back and told me 'What wouldn't I do to get into this place'. I felt like doing the same after the Stanford class. Except that I had a wall behind me and that would have seemed weird.

2 comments:

i_will_make_it said...

It's cute how you've compared the two to liken them as "twins." :-)

Well, I have to say the biggest difference for me b/t the two schools is the immediate surrounding area. Berkeley and Paly are on different ends of the spectrum when you're standing on University Ave. (palo alto) vs. Telegraph Ave. (berkeley).

So what environment floats your boat? The classy style of stanford w/ its elite shopping mall and late night bbq's at the graduate housing community? Or the streak of wild piercings and freedom of self expression where the Cal bears roam?

Good luck w/ the essays, and happy thanksgiving! :-)

laserlikefocus said...

It will have to be the arena of the wild Cal bears! But campus environ doesn't rank that high in my list of priorities, 'cos chances are I'll live off campus. Or maybe I'm just a brand w!@#$. Either case I'd still prefer Stanford :)