Wednesday, November 23, 2005

[General] Careful what you wish for

For the past 2 1/2 years I have been pestering my boss to allow me to do some high level complex system design. Last week my wish was granted. Relax, I won't go into the details of the task here. Lets just say it's the direct outcome of one of the many telecom mergers that have happened of late. The 1st deliverable will be due early January. So now I have a nice overlap between the most challenging period of the MBA app process (5 schools !!) and a very complicated, time-consuming task at work. #!$%ing great.

I had posted a schedule for myself some time back. This is how I have fared on the 1st leg

By Nov 20
Tuck essays sent out for review - Done
Wharton essays sent out for review - Not really
Haas essays going through internal revisions - Sort of

I haven't flunked it as bad as I thought I would. But this was the easiest stretch. The toughest stretch starts now.

3 comments:

i_will_make_it said...

Totally feel you, man. I was given a last minute software project at the beginning of November with an added catch, "Oh, but complete it by EOY because Company X is waiting for it."

"Oh @$#!" Like your schedule... it ain't looking too good. Good luck to you!! I'm definitely looking forward to this turkey break to catch up. Cheers!

SgHama said...

That's the same boat I'm in. I was bugging my counselors to get staffed on a strategy project after spending months on an operations one. And I got it. Right smack in Oct-Dec. The hours have been killer and haven't given me a lot of time to do my apps - and that was one of the reasons why I missed Wharton's R1. Fortunately I think I'm on track to submit Tuck next week. :)

laserlikefocus said...

i_will_make_it - hope the turkey break has been kind on your MBA progress.

sghama - good to hear that Tuck is on track. I still have some issues with my 'unique/contribution essay'. Hopefully my reviewers will get back in time for me to wrap that up.