Saturday, August 27, 2005

[MBA] School selection criteria

Ok lets get down to the apping business now. So how should I shortlist the 5-6 schools I'll be applying to? Here are some criteria (in no particular order) and my thought process on them.

1. Brand name - I have been on both sides of the 'brand' fence. My undergrad college has a great brand and my grad college an average one. What I have seen is that when the job market is good the advantage of a strong 'brand' is not all that much. Also once you are in a job, the brand doesn't help/hamper you all that much either (your performance does). However in weak job markets the 'brand' can be the difference between whether you get an interview call or an automated '... your resume is in our database ...' email. And lets face it, we go groping for our schools' brands only in tight situations. So brand is goddamn important.
In addition to that I have a non-trivial chance of working outside US (in Asia most probably) after I graduate. So international brand strength is especially important to me.

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT (Int), Haas (Int)

2. Culture - Whenever I think of school culture or fit, a voice at the back of my head says, "Fit is for wussies who don't know how to adapt. You have gone through 4 years of IIT hell. You can put up with anything."
Well, the very fact that I didn't enjoy my undergrad too much makes me take this factor seriously. Or maybe I am a wussie. But in either case, I would prefer a school with a collaborative atmosphere where there is competition but not of the cut-throat, backstabbing variety. Such a school probably doesn't exist but I'd like one which tries to approach this ideal.

I'll need to visit schools to figure out their cultures. So the list below is based on general impressions and is liable to change.
Kellogg, Tuck, Duke, UCLA and ?

3. Academic focus - Do people learn anything academically in MBA? I don't know but I sure hope so. To the extent that they do, I would like the school to have a strong focus on entrepreneurship, finance and marketing departments which are good enough to give a newcomer a solid grounding (as opposed to expertise) in those subjects. The school ecosystem should also provide ample opportunities for international studies/projects.

I have to do more research before I can name schools here. So far from what I have seen I am impressed by
entrepreneurship - UCLA, MIT, Chicago, Ross (for CK Prahalad)

4. Employment stats for internationals in 2001-2002 - this is going back to my favorite nightmare - me an international student without OPT graduating into a deep recession. In the local library I found a Wall Street Journal book which lists 2002 employment stats broken up into internationals and americans. I'll compile the results and post it here sometime.

5. Location - I would really like to have me and my wife stay in the same city during my MBA. For that she needs to have a chance of getting a job around the area where I go to school. Since she is a hardware engineer, the best places for that to happen are Bay area, Austin area and Boston area in that order.

Stanford, Haas, McCombs, Harvard, MIT
To stretch it a lil bit UCLA, Wharton, Tuck (and most other east coast schools)

Ok now I have the criteria. So do I have a shortlist yet? If only it had been that simple.

No comments: