Friday, August 12, 2005

[General] Country bumpkin

I made a trip to Denver downtown recently for a business lunch with a couple of marketing guys from a local telecom. The non-profit I work for has tied up with them for a joint revenue generating campaign and I am in charge of the gig. Anyway this was my 1st meeting ever with marketing types - if you discount the HR people; aren't they marketing majors as well :) It was interesting to observe the way they apply pressure on you while being nice and non-confrontational. Wonder whether thats something that can be learnt or you got to be born with it.

However what stood out for me on this trip was the way I felt like a country bumpkin as I walked around downtown making my way to the restaurant. Now Denver isn't exactly the biggest city in the world nor was this the 1st time I visited its downtown. But a combination of this being my 1st business hours visit and my long stay at my tiny foothills town made all the people around me seem like aliens. It was almost as if it was 1999 again - no it was not raining millionares, that was the year I 1st came to the US.

For a moment I thought, maybe I should move to a more urban downtownish area. But then the thought of seeing this same scene every single day brought me back to earth. I'll take wide open spaces and the mountains anyday.

No comments: