Sunday, August 21, 2005

[MBA] At last I see the light (or something on those lines)

When I chose my blog username I meant it to be a small private joke. I had no idea it would become a public one so soon.

Ever since I decided to apply for the Weekend program at Chicago GSB, I have been having second thoughts - not about the MBA but about the part-time aspect. I gave myself numerous reasons why part-time was the best option for me. I have a decent job, GSB is a great program, people have changed careers in that program and so on. However the incidents at my workplace (product cancellation followed by layoffs) last month served as a wakeup call. I realized that I had been going the part-time way not because I preferred it over fulltime but simply because I was scared about graduating without the cushion of a green card. However now that I have had a brush with it, for a non green card holder getting laid off in the middle of a part-time MBA program during a recession is as bad as graduating from a full-time MBA program into a recession. There it is out in the open now. I have been scarred for life by the 2001-2002 job market. I cannot take any decision without considering how I would fare in a market like that.

Anyway coming back to the original chain of thought, so what's the worst that can happen if I graduate without a Green Card. I will have to go back to India and serve as indentured labor to my creditors here. Worse things could happen to people. Hell, if I introspect hard enough I could probably come up with worse things that have happened to me!

Not to say that part-time won't absolutely work for me. I intend to get an MBA and change my career. So I will go the part-time route if I have to. But I can no longer convince myself that it's my best and 1st option. I am still living with the regret of not trying hard enough to get into a good school for my MS. In the coming few months I will make sure that I don't have similar regrets for a good fulltime MBA program.

So, watch out you hordes of MBA applicant bloggers another cliche is headed your way.

No comments: