Monday, June 06, 2005

[MBA] On focus

I recently went through an MBA app experience. It was a part-time, one-school deal so it was neither too grueling nor cathartic. But one aspect of the process has stuck with me. Everyone seemed to be interested in how focused I had been in making my career choices and how every professional step of mine after graduation was infact a small step towards my ultimate goal. Hell, when I graduated I wasn't even sure what my goal was.

Is this kind of long term focus really possible? Do people really know when they graduate what exactly they want to do with their lives? Is that kind of focus even desirable? I mean, doesn't focusing too much too soon reduce the breadth of your knowledge and experience? These are not really rhetorical questions. I'd like to hear opinions - especially from people who answer yes to the second question.

Note: Please go ahead and comment even if you are reading this post a year after it has been posted. Since this is my 1st post that's an extremely plausible scenario.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that means you have decided to go ahead with the weekend programme
Best of luck for that and the blog

Anonymous said...

Rahul says:
i think i have seen people who knew right after their 12th grade what they wanted in life. And nearly 11 years after my friends told of their goals, i can see them climbing slowly towards it.
So yes, i do agree that there are these extremely focused lot. How did they get that-- i don't know!

Anonymous said...

i am of the opinion that unless you work on something or study something, you will not know whether you like that or not. so when people say that they know right from start what they want to do in life, i think they are lying to themselves.....

Be good!

laserlikefocus said...

Thats a very good point. I think people who say they like something without actually experiencing it and then go on to make a successful career out of it are either

1. Very lucky. When they get around to doing the job they actually like it.

2. Very stubborn. Just because they officially like the job they will go ahead and do it anyway.

3. Extremely self-ware. They really really know what pushes their buttons.

3 and 2 don't apply to me. I haven't seen much evidence of 1. So no wonder I am not entirely sure about what I really want to do. That's my excuse anyway :)